Monday Morning Cheat Sheet - December 5th, 2016
- The MLB Players Association and the MLB Owners struck a new Collective Bargaining Agreement last week. This agreement caps International signings, removes the reason behind the All Star Game, and a ban on Smokeless Tobacco for new incoming players.
- Carlos Beltran inked a 1-year/$16 Million dollar deal with the Houston Astros. This proves that Carlos Beltran loves Houston, Texas and that the Astros are making some moves this offseason.
- The Yankees continued their time honored tradition of paying older players large sums of money by signing Matt Holliday to a 1-year/$13 million dollar contract. In all seriousness, this is a great move.
- On Sunday, the Today's Game Committee (formerly the Veterans Committee) voted on whether or not Bud Selig will be inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2017. They voted him in, and it's the fucking dumbest move of the century.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates have been looking for landing spots for their face of the franchise and All Star Centerfielder Andrew McCutchen. The Nationals have emerged as frontrunners, mainly due to their needs in the outfield and the depth of their farm system.
- Chris Sale has been a hot topic as well this off season, drawing multiple teams in with the hopes of trading for the lefty. The prospect rich Nationals have been attached to Sale, but so have the high spending Boston Red Sox. No word on whether or not trading Sale is a reality or not.
- Jaime Garcia was acquired by the Atlanta Braves this past week for three prospects. This is a solid move by Atlanta if this were 2015, as Garcia saw his ERA balloon from 2.43 in 2015 to 4.67 in 2016. The Braves now have a four solid starting pitchers and have been rumored to be interested in Rays Ace Chris Archer as their 5th.
- Jung-Ho Kang was arrested last week in South Korea for a DUI and fleeing the scene of an accident. Dash Cam video shows Kang plowing into a pedestrian guard rail at high speeds before driving off. This is his third DUI since 2009, and not his first run in with the law.
- The Mets re-signed outfielder Yoenis Cespedes to a 4-year/$110 million dollar deal, the largest in Mets history. This signing also put a damper on the pay ceiling for Edwin Encarnacion, who has been reportedly looking for $125 million over 5 years.
- The Baltimore Orioles have been tied to everyone and their mother this offseason including Mark Trumbo, Jay Bruce, Curtis Granderson and Dexter Fowler. They have not been in touch with Manny Machado about an extension.
- The Winter meetings are happening this week in Baltimore. Finally Baltimore in the center of all things baseball. BOOM. ROASTED.
- Mark Melancon supposedly has multiple offers from teams, all in the 4-year, $60 million range. San Francisco and Washington are among those teams.
- The Miami Marlins are reportedly interested in signing Kenley Jansen for 4-years, $80 million dollars. That's because the Marlins are CRAZY.
- Steve Pearce JUST signed with the Blue Jays. He played for Tampa Bay, that's why you don't know who he is.
Follow us on Twitter (@3up3downblog) and on instagram (@threeupthreedownblog)!